Thursday, April 19, 2012

Illustration - Tex Mechs

This would probably be a movie on the SyFy channel. I did this for the Bloodsports Challenge over at Crimson Daggers. I had a lot of fun with this. The topic alone was fun to mess with. Western meets mechs. I love crossing two worlds like this. It's fun and interesting.

I had never drawn mechs before. So I was excited I'd get to try. It's harder than I thought, but funner than I thought as well. The design might not be great, but for my first mech design I'm definitely happy with it. The design was heavily inspired by Ashley Wood, as well as modern military tank design. You can see the painting studies I did of military vehicles below.

I definitely want to experiment with more mech design because it's interesting and something I should learn anyways. Playing with shapes and functionality is a great exercise. You'll see in my design process I used silhouettes at first to get a good idea of shape and form. Which is what mechs are essentially.

Process


Designs

Composition Sketches

Studies




No comments:

Post a Comment